Tuesday, February 5, 2013

DIY Fabric Softener (now we're talking!)

I love the smell of freshly scented laundry, but there are times when Jon doesn't want things to "smell pretty." When it's time to go to the woods for deer hunting, I have been told there are a list of No's that I need to understand: No perfume, No hairstyling products, No fabric softener in the clothes. Apparently, deer have an excellent "sniffer" and can smell us a mile away. Last time I forgot, I got doused in some kind of spray "scent-be-gone" stuff that left me and my hair feeling a little frazzled!

In researching for my next DIY project to save money around the house, I decided to look into fabric softener. Jon and I like to save money when we can, and I feel like it's my job to find ways to cut spending where it's unnecessary while looking out for our environment. When you combine that with having two sons in college and retired parents, finding ways to help THEM save money is even more rewarding than ever! In fact, I have some jars of laundry detergent that I made for them ready to go the next time we all get together - hopefully soon!

One of the biggest things that I try to remember when I'm working on a project is time and effort needed to complete a task. I'm all about saving money but sometimes, when the effort is too great for the reward or if it leaves a mess that I'll have to spend a lot of time cleaning up, it's hard to justify it. In this case, I'm quite happy to report that it's so easy to make this stuff and on days when Jon's not so worried about my "smell good" fetish, I can just use white vinegar on its own, although you can mix it 1:1:4 with baking soda (4 cups hot water) if you want extra softness.

ORIGINAL FABRIC SOFTENER
Are you ready for this?
  • 2 cups inexpensive hair conditioner such as Suave
  • 6 cups hot water
  • 2 cups white vinegar (no, your clothes won't smell bad afterward)
Mix it all together in a large mixing bowl (a whisk works great). That's it! Store in a container (reuse a container so you can help protect our environment) and label appropriately. NEVER use this with bleach. It's bad for your septic system if you have one and the vinegar will react with the bleach. Use only 1/3 cup in your final rinse cycle (suggest using a Downy Ball) and shake thoroughly before each use.

Trying to stay all-natural? Omit the hair conditioner and add baking soda as mentioned, note the foaming reaction is ok - it's not going to 'cancel out' the vinegar as it makes a salt that is a good buffer. You can choose to add essential oil for scent if you wish.

Cost per load (original recipe): less than two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment