Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Mason Jar Feeder (DIY)

Update: By popular demand, I will make you a feeder so you don't have to - contact me for more information. If you want to make your own, I suggest you plan to make at least 4-5 at a time because of the cost for the copper wire if you're using it instead of regular wire). Do the birds like them? See the images at the bottom, taken less than 5 minutes after hanging the yellow one on a cold sleet-filled day.
My completed feeder.
I'm always watching on Pinterest to see if I find some neat ideas for my backyard birds. A recent trip to Branson and a visit to Bass Pro Shop netted a good idea...but I knew I couldn't make one just like the feeder I saw there, so back to Pinterest I went. I found some neat Mason jar feeders, but some of them required you to drill a hole in the bottom of the jar. Others I saw were quite pretty and hung from a copper wire, but when I clicked on them, it was actually a place to purchase the feeder from a manufacturer or even from online "crafty" sellers who are looking to make a quick buck. I wasn't up to paying $32.00 plus shipping for one, as seen here:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/78733648/upcycled-rustic-country-antique-blue

A nuthatch eyes my newly crafted feeder.
While the one from Bass Pro was $8 cheaper than this Etsy seller ($24), it didn't use the pretty copper wire and is manufactured by a company instead of an individual. Other than cost, the other difference was that the Bass Pro version has a little circular perch that is soldered on using two short pieces of wire crisscrossed underneath and then the circle perch is soldered to those pieces to secure it to the bottom of the feeder.  With shipping expenses (because Bass Pro is 1.5 hours away and I'm not going to drive back to get one), their version would still be about $30.

He can't resist!
So, as a test, I stopped in my local Tractor Supply Co. and picked up a couple of metal chicken feeders. I already had some large Mason jars around the house because my mom is always canning salsa and homemade barbecue sauce for us. The chicken feeder was $3.99. Next, I stopped in and got some copper bendable wire at Lowe's. It is over where the electrical wire is kept. There is enough in there to do four feeders (about $5 worth of wire per feeder). That's it! My total cost using recycled jars was $8.99 for the feeder - and it's something Jon and I made by hand. Adding a hand-dyed jar that I had to purchase and buy the supplies to dye and seal ups the price a little more - around $10 each. To make the feeder (either clear or dyed jars), just wrap the wire around the mouth of the jar (make sure it is snug) and wind it a couple of times around the jar, bending it up and making a hook to hang it. Fill the jar with bird seed and then screw on the chick feeder. You're done.

Within minutes of hanging the new feeder, I had a White-Breasted Nuthatch enjoying a
He kept coming back!
meal. I also found the Vintage blue jars online at Lowes.com as well as other sources . I was surprised at the price (only $2.99 for half a dozen). I'll have to pick some of these up because I love the look of the copper wire against the blue colored glass. Better yet, I think I will attempt to color some clear glasses  as I can see these feeders in an array of colors! It takes some time and patience, but I am excited at the possibilities! Update: I have tested and adapted a method to color the jars, as well as seal them so they can be used and will withstand the use of birdseed without losing their color. You can find the instructions here: http://prolificponders.blogspot.com/2014/02/diy-colored-mason-jars.html - have fun (I did)!

On a side note, if you do not have copper wire or want to save the cost, you can use any sturdy galvanized wire and save that expense. If it is a thinner wire (like the one shown below), you can experiment to get the feeder to hang straight by adding a second wire midway up the jar so it can't shift from side to side. It's not as pretty, but it is still an awesome feeder! If you get really creative, you could attach cutouts to your design or even paint the Mason jar in a colorful pattern! The best part of using any wire you may have around the house already is that the cost goes down drastically! The one below only cost $3.99 for the chicken feeder! Next, just fill your jar with bird seed of any type (the larger chunkier mixes are fine for this feeder), and watch them come!

A simple design made just by wrapping some spare wire we had around the house around the jar (once at the base, loop it around the original loop to secure it, then bring it up and over to the other side and wrap it through the base loop to secure it and you're done).

Update: Check out my hand-dyed jars used to make feeders. It was time consuming, and the sealer took 24 hours to dry (and you have to be very careful while using it to ensure that coats evenly. It was worth it - don't you think? These cost more than the ones above because of the costs to dye and seal the jar and of course, the copper wire is the biggest expense. 












No comments:

Post a Comment